POPSUGAR has once again released their ultimate reading challenge, and I’m up for it this time! Last year, I did not take the reading challenge seriously and only accomplished 13/52. Not that proud of that.
This is the challenge:
A while ago, I have already listed the possible books I would read for each category. I did that as early as possible because if not, I can predict that I would just procrastinate all year and base what would I read on just whatever comes to mind.
With the help of Goodreads and National Book Store, I have known what are some of the best books that fit in each category and the price in our local book store. I already have most of what I would read on my bookshelves, but for some categories, I must buy. Of course, as a student (an always broke college student, just kidding), it is important for me to know good but not-that-hard-on-the-pocket books. Hopefully, I can balance my budget on this.
To evenly distribute 40 books in a year, it will take one book per week. Another “I hope” for me, to stick to that timeline. As for the order of reading, I would just let myself pick randomly because I already have a list.
For some categories, I’m stuck on what to read:
- A National Book Award Winner
- A self-improvement book
- A book at least 100 years older than you
- A book that’s more than 600 pages
- A book of poetry
- An autobiography
I also cannot decide outright on which to read for the categories I do not have yet [Prices based on the National Book Store *($1 USD = ₱47 PHP)]:
- A book based on a fairy tale
- Mirror, Mirror by J.D. Robb, et al for ₱315
- The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly for ₱419
- Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige for ₱435
- Cinder: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer for ₱435
- A book that’s becoming a movie this year
- Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll for ₱99
- The Choice by Nicholas Sparks for ₱315
- Looking for Alaska by John Green for ₱345
- Inferno by Dan Brown
- A book from Oprah’s Book Club
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens for ₱99
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens for ₱99
- A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
- A book written by a comedian
- Hopia by Lloyd Cadena for ₱150
- Eng Serep Megwele by Lloyd Cadena for ₱195
- This Book Loves You by PewDiePie for ₱675
- A satirical book
- Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift for ₱99
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain for ₱99
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen for ₱99
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- A book that takes place on an island
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson for ₱99
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding for ₱319
Sorry about that price list. I just wanna take my allowance more seriously this year. Anyway, I hope you, dear reader, would take this awesome challenge, too! I would post updates on my progress all throughout the year. Good luck to both of us!
Photo taken from: http://www.popsugar.com/latest/POPSUGAR-Challenge
Got any suggestions? Comment below!